Hardware Nigeria Community – Introduction
Category : Uncategorized
HARDWARE NIGERIA COMMUNITY (HNC)
Hardware Nigeria Community (HNC) is a network and synergy of Nigerian inventors, makers and hardware entrepreneurs committed to fixing hardware in Nigeria.
It is a system which facilitates indigenous technology development, entrepreneurship and job creation.
Hardware in this context implies physical technology products such as electronic devices, mechanical devices, machines, gadgets, etc.
Vision of HNC
To build a highly successful hardware ecosystem in Nigeria
To transform Nigeria into a technology producer
Objectives of HNC
The overall objective of HNC is to identify and support Nigerians involved in hardware through local support groups in every city across Nigeria.
HNC will seek to achieve the following objectives:
- Create and maintain an accurate database of Nigerians in hardware including: Name, location, skills, projects, needs, etc.
- Facilitate the creation of new hardware products and businesses
- Build local support groups in every city and state nationwide
- Attract and provide relevant resources to people in hardware
- Advocate for government support to hardware players
- Provide capacity development for people in hardware – technical and business
- Provide support in prototype development, manufacturing and marketing of hardware products
Local support groups (LSG)
Each city will have a local support groups (LSG) and a coordinator.
The local support groups will meet regularly (preferably once a month) and will perform the following functions:
- Identify and keep record of hardware people in the city
- Share information, opportunities, equipment and tools
- Provide capacity development for members
- Facilitate collaboration among members in product and business development
- Help to validate market demand for potential products
- Help to distribute and market indigenous hardware products
To achieve the HNC project, the following steps are recommended:
- Identify volunteer coordinators in different cities nation wide
- Create a WhatsApp group for them
- Create and adopt a guiding document outlining HNC objectives
- Conduct an online survey for all hardware guys in Nigeria
- Organize local meet ups in different cities
CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT TOPICS
According to the road map for hardware ecosystem in Nigeria, capacity development (skill acquisition) is the next step after setting up HNC chapters.
The skills required by hardware developers can be summarized into two:
- Engineering skills
- Business skills
Engineering skills can be summarized to the following topics:
- Product/industrial design
- Electronic circuit design and PCB fabrication
- Embedded system design and programming
- Artificial intelligence and Robotics
- Computer aided design (CAD) and mechanical design
- Digital fabrication (3D printing, CNC machining, laser/plasma cutting, etc.)
- Mold design and fabrication
Business skills can be summarized to the following topics:
- Market valuation
- Business model and business plan
- Team building and management
- Pitching and Fund raising
- Supply chain management (SCM)
These skills shall be thought during the meet ups at each HNC chapter.
HNC chapters will serve as Local Support Groups (LSG)